Tuesday, April 24, 2012

I Want More Bible

As I've reflected on my first semester as a teacher this verse has been rocking my world lately.

"For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart." Hebrews 4:12

It never ceases to amaze me how powerful God's word truly is. When I read a passage of Scripture and sense my heart and affections being stirred to treasure Christ more and long to study further, that is evidence that God's word is active and alive. Left to myself, I want nothing to do with the Bible and it makes no sense to me. But when the Spirit of God moves, the Bible comes alive and I can't get enough. When I see students grow simply by reading God's word, that is proof that the Bible is sharp enough to penetrate any heart. God's word will do it's intended work. It will not return void in the life of any believer, including you and me. The very fact that we are trusting in Christ means that we are given the promised Holy Spirit who makes God's word alive to us. How amazing!

God could have left us to ourselves, but he didn't. He gave us his very word. And it is life to weary, broken, sinful people who desperately need a glimpse of his goodness on a moment by moment basis. Teaching has revived this passion in me. Our church has renewed my love for God's word. The Bible is powerful. It changes lives. It's deserving of our study and our time. It is the very word of our great God.

4 comments:

Ibukun Olowu said...

I like this. One verse that's been rocking my world lately is Ps. 119.23, "Even though princes sit plotting against me, your servant will meditate on your statutes." The Bible is so vital that this writer is willing to make time to meditate on it even with death hanging over his head. I, on the other hand, often feel like skipping Bible reading because of external pressures--and nobody is out to kill me!

Courtney Reissig said...

Ibukun,

Thanks for reading and for commenting! Another great verse to meditate on. You are so right. Hope you are well!

FTF said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ibukun Olowu said...

You're welcome! And I'm doing well. Quick question: which template are you using for your blog?